Water, sanitation and hygiene (WaSH) programmes often fail to bring lasting benefits to the people they seek to serve due to deficiencies in governance. Few of the main deficiencies in service delivery are due to lack of physical availability. The principal causes are deeply rooted in poverty and inequality, and these contribute to poor governance
Research has proven that the effectiveness of WaSH programming to deliver sustainable improvements depends on whether service delivery is governed in an accountable fashion.
Efforts to ensure that access to water remains sustainable and viable have seen a shift from water supply hardware to ways to improve support to institutions and governance in the sector.
There is potential to build on existing initiatives by helping to strengthen accountability links within the water service framework and streamlining accountability into processes.
The collaboration aims to further support UNICEF WASH practitioners and partners in the area of programming for Enabling Environment, accountability and improved sustainability. This includes production of guidance and technical briefs, while build on sharing the evidence created and lessons learned coming from the implemented activities.
The overall thematic scope includes all kind of support linked to Enabling Environment, accountability and sustainability issues including:
- Support to improvement of Accountability and Anti-corruption activities in programming, and the link with the Enabling Environment and Human Rights.
- Support to generate evidence and technical support for implementation of the Sustainability Checks and the Sustainability Framework.
- Support to conducting and documenting WASH BAT process (water, sanitation and Hygiene Bottleneck Analysis Tool is an analysis and monitoring process to assess the enabling environment for the delivery of water and sanitation services) in different countries
- Support rolling out of Enabling Environment training package in the different regions (for example on regulations, accountability, service delivery models, WASH BAT, …)
- Support to programming of activities in various Enabling Environment components such as Accountability & Regulation, policies and strategies, coordination, budget and financing, etc.)
- Provide desk support to UNICEF Country Offices and Headquarters for the development and review of relevant Enabling Environment Sustainability and Accountability tools and processes.
- Technical Assistance to countries on governance issues
- Development of guidance and technical briefs on Accountability, Sustainability and Enabling Environment, regulations, service delivery models, WASH BAT ,…
- Support to regional and national trainings / workshops and Global Learning Webinars
- Development of knowledge/evidence papers