Water Integrity Capacity Building Programme in MENA
SIWI is implementing a regional Water Integrity Capacity Building Programme for the Middle East and North Africa region in collaboration with regional and local partners from 2014 to 2017. The programme is funded by Sida and builds on extensive experience gained from similar capacity building programmes in other regions.
The programme has the political endorsement in the five target countries and on December 4, 2014 it was officially labelled by the 43 member countries of the Union for the Mediterranean.
Five Rapid Assessments of the Water Integrity Risks and Capacity Needs for each of the target groups have been carried out in all five pilot countries by the national partners. The results have informed the adaptation of the training materials and a synthesis report will be present the main findings on the regional level.
To kick-start the capacity building activities a Training of Trainers Workshop was held on December 1-5 2014 in Tunis, Tunisia with the objective of creating a pool of water integrity trainers in the MENA Region, as well as validating the adapted training materials. Mr Tarek Bahri, General Director of Governance and Advisor to the President of Government in Tunisia addressed the participants in key note speech high-lighting the importance of the subject and its relevance in the region. The Training of Trainers will be followed up by the national trainings, which will be carried out in 2015. The trainings will be launched at a regional training to take place on January 14-15 at the Arab Water Week in Jordan.
The overall objective is to develop capacities of the different water stakeholder groups at different governance levels in the MENA region to improve transparency and accountability practices in water resources management.
Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
- Regional level: high level decision makers
- National level: water officials in regulation, controlling and planning; students; private sector
- Operational level: mid-level water managers
- Local level: farmers' organisations, water user associations, media, women groups and other civil society actors.
The programme combines a series of trainings at different levels. Each is adapted to the relevant capacity need of the target groups in the MENA region. By combining peer-to-peer learning and professional mentorship in a participatory learning environment, the programme has an explicit focus on behaviour change i.e to be able to translate knowledge acquired through the trainings into actual pro-integrity changes on the ground.
The national training workshops have now been officially launched after a presentation about the programme and the main findings from the rapid assessments of water integrity risks at the 3rd Arab Water Week, by the Dead Sea, Jordan, and the first regional training workshop "Water Integrity for MENA Region" took place directly after on 14-15 January 2015. Read more
Following this successful first regional training workshop and the upcoming national activities in the five pilot countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia) we are now looking forward to further regional training courses to focus on the wider Arab region.
- Year 1 - National Water Integrity Assessments
- Year 2 - National Trainings
- Year 3 - Alumni Workshops and Mentorship Programme
- Year 4 - Regional High Level Meetings and Regional Learning Summit
- Jordan: Jordan University of Science and Technology
- Lebanon: Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs at the American University of Beirut
- Morocco: Al-Akhawayn University
- Palestine: Al-Quds University
- Tunisia: CERTE - Water Researches and Technologies Center
Ms Alice Jaraiseh
Phone: +46 8 121 360 42
Ms Maria Jacobson firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +46 8 121 360 43
New training opportunity!
Training course information
Expression of interest
Building Capacity in Water Integrity: Programme for the Middle East and North Africa
- Renforcement des capacités dans l’intégrité de l’eau: Programme pour le Moyen-Orient et l’Afrique du Nord
- Building Capacity in Water Integrity: Programme for the Middle East and North Africa (in Arabic)